The Organic Materials Review Institute (OMRI) is a leading nonprofit organization working to strengthen the organic industry. OMRI operates an internationally recognized evaluation program that reviews and lists input products for use in producing, processing and handling organic food and fiber. OMRI Listed® products may be allowed for use in operations that are certified organic under the USDA National Organic Program, the Canadian Organic Standards, or Mexico’s Organic Product Law.
OMRI is actively engaged in diversifying its work force, creating an equitable workplace culture, and creating an inclusive workplace environment. Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they meet every one of the qualifications listed. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may be one who comes from a less traditional background. We encourage you to apply, even if you do not meet every one of our qualifications listed.
Location: Though our office is in Eugene, Oregon (Learn more about the City of Eugene), this position is open to being completely remote from anywhere in the United States.
Overview of Position
If you are looking to use your software development skills to further a cause you can believe in while creating a balance between your personal and professional lives, OMRI’s Senior Software Developer position may be a great fit. OMRI believes in a strong life-work balance.
OMRI is seeking a Senior Software Developer to join its IT team to maintain and improve custom software for the organization. Reporting to and collaborating with the IT Manager, the Senior Software Developer will also work with OMRI staff to maintain and improve its custom website, software tools, and databases for the organization. Further, you will work in a collaborative team environment to implement new tools and frameworks to help OMRI improve its services.
Starting salary $71,000 per year (Dependent on Experience); 40 hours per week; flexible work hours; generous PTO; telecommuting from anywhere in the United States
Database and Software Design
- Collaborate with the IT Manager, IT Advisor, Software Project Manager, Junior Software Project Managers, and OMRI staff to assess software needs and design new features from a user's perspective
- Create and revise custom user interfaces and reports in collaboration with OMRI staff
- Work with the IT Manager and IT Advisor to design database schemas and arrange existing and custom software libraries to create the desired features
Software Programming and Implementation
- Commit clear and well-documented code into version control systems that adheres to the principals of maintainable software
- Identify, document, test and correct bugs in collaboration with OMRI staff
- Update database records and schema in conjunction with code revisions
- Develop forms and reports as needed
Training and Support
- Collaborate with staff to prepare documentation that describes how to use software to accomplish specific tasks
- Plan and present formal trainings to teach staff how to use the software to accomplish their tasks
- Respond to direct requests for immediate assistance from OMRI staff by troubleshooting, solving and documenting urgent problems with custom software
- Collaborate with IT Advisor and IT Manager to mentor Software Developers and Junior Software Developers
- Anticipate future software project needs, understand software project interdependencies, and participate with IT Advisor, IT Manager, and Business Systems Analysts in long-term software project planning activities
- In collaboration with IT Advisor and IT Manager, direct and anticipate Cloud (assets maintenance activities such as user management, credentialing, and operating systems maintenance
- In collaboration with IT Advisor and IT Manager, direct and anticipate Cloud assets cybersecurity and cyber safety efforts
- At the direction of the IT Manager, update Work Instructions, prepare Cloud assets documentation, and prepare other documents/presentations as requested
- Deliver constructive feedback on software and design in a professional manner to Software Developers and Junior Software Developers
- Other duties as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Associate’s degree required; an equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience beyond the requirements below may be considered as a substitute for the degree requirement
- 3 years of experience in software programming and database management required
- Two or more of the following areas: Cloud services (e.g., Azure, AWS, Google) administration; linux (e.g., Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian) administration; Apache or Nginx administration
- High level of proficiency with source control (e.g., Git) including feature branching, merging, conflict resolution, cherry picking, recovery, and rollback
- Experience with a scripting language such as PowerShell, Python, perl, or linux shell (e.g., bash, csh, tsh)
- Experience with relational database theory (e.g., ACID, levels of normalization, or Codd’s Twelve Rules) and software design principals (e.g., SOLID, object-oriented versus functional programming, or test-driven design)
- Experience with unit test development
- Experience with a management process such as Agile, Scrum, Lean, or Kanban
- Experience with HTML
- Project coordination and planning skills
- Strong customer service skills
- Superior written and oral communications skills
- Willingness to participate in professional development activities, and ability to acquire new skills and adapt to change quickly
- Ability to work constructively as part of a dynamic team
- High level of attention to detail and ability to process complex information and instructions
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks, organize information, complete tasks in a timely fashion
- Ability to maintain confidential business information and adhere to concepts of business and professional confidentiality
- Familiarity with and support for the organic community
- Familiarity with Content Delivery Networks
- Familiarity with cybersecurity, cyber resiliency, and cyber safety principles
- Familiarity with DevOps tools for continuous integration and continuous delivery
- Working knowledge of document control processes and techniques
- Knowledge of chemistry
- Ability to work occasional nights and weekends
- Ability to occasionally travel domestically
- 100% employer contribution to individual medical vision/dental, 50% employer contribution to dependent medical, vision and dental plans
- 100% employer-paid life, long term disability and short term disability insurance
- Retirement plan
- Generous Paid Time Off
- 13 paid holidays
- Opportunities for flexible scheduling
- Opportunities for training and professional development
- Bike-friendly business and support for alternative transportation options
- Small nonprofit organization with established team and leading role in organic industry
- Casual, fun work environment
Open until filled
How to apply
Submit your resume and cover letter as a PDF or Word document to firstname.lastname@example.org referencing Senior Software Developer in the subject line. Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
OMRI is an Equal Opportunity Employer
OMRI is committed to fostering an inclusive and welcoming work environment where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, pregnancy, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. All aspects of employment are decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, performance and business needs.
For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please see these government posters: “EEO is the Law” and its accompanying temporary supplement.
If you are an individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation in the application or hiring process, please contact Human Resources at 541-343-7600 or email@example.com.