Diagnoses, rebuilds and repairs vehicles and equipment. Perform inspections and preventive maintenance of vehicles and equipment. Prepare and maintain records and reports. Under limited supervision performs work of considerable difficulty in the repair and maintenance of vehicles and equipment and other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities: (Essential Functions)
Considerable knowledge of:
• Methods, materials, tools and techniques used in vehicle and equipment repair and maintenance.
• Diagnosing mechanical problems and performing repairs.
• Safety practices and procedures.
• Mechanical design and fabrication.
• Electrical systems, including computerized induction/ignition systems.
• Use of power, hand tools, and diagnostic equipment.
• Acetylene and electric arc welding.
• Operation of vehicles and equipment for diagnostic purposes.
• Diagnose problems and make repairs in the field on a 24-hour basis.
• Obtain and/or maintain a Class ‘A’ Commercial Driver’s License (CDL)
• Effectively handle lifting of various objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
• Work extended hours out of doors in a variety of weather conditions.
• Prepare and maintain records and reports.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other agencies and the public.
• Follow written and verbal instructions, including manufacturers’ service specifications.
• Communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
• At least two (2) years of experience and/or training in vehicle/construction equipment repair and maintenance shop or any combination of education, training and experience that demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position.
• Service Technicians must furnish a satisfactory supply of tools to complete both routine repairs and diagnostic testing.